Monday, December 12, 2011

Having a Passion

It hurts me to see people go through life without a passion; honestly, there are those who seemingly only have a pulse and nothing else. This is a problem I've never been accused of having. Never. You know who else you can't criticize for having a lack of passion or things to be passionate about? Tim Tebow. Take the following two pieces as an example...




A friend of mine came up to me last night and said, "You've always been the one in our class who is the most passionate about teaching and wanting to teach. Hands down." That was super meaningful to me. I hadn't necessarily thought about that, and not to sound arrogant - but he's right. I don't do it as a gimmick; it's not an act. I want to teach. I want to coach. I want to be a positive influence in the lives of kids and in the lives of those around me. Period. 

I got the opportunity to speak to some of my fellow classmates before their student teaching experience begins. And my last statement to those classes was this: "If you help a student or do something that leads to the improvement of a student and you don't get absolute chills or at least get some awesome feeling from that, then we don't need you in the teaching profession; do something else." After that statement I received some interesting looks. And yes, I know it sounds harsh. But it's the truth. I spent my Friday night last week watching a high school girls' basketball game. I said it; girls basketball. It wasn't about the basketball (although that helps) but it was about the kids. My students out there. I was so in to the game not because I'm passionate about basketball and sports (which I am) but because I care for those kids. I want to see them succeed. Shouldn't that be our focus towards all people?

In my lifetime, I shamefully admit way too many times when I have not been a kind person to a stranger or even those I know. That absolutely pains me to say that. I have mentioned numerous times how the last few months have been some of the best of my life. One of the reasons is that I've had that change in focus. God has worked on me; it's been awesome. Some probably see it as "just a phase" or whatever, but this is me now. I'm growing up and making some major shifts in my life. Going in to similar situations with a completely different mindset.

My gorgeous niece, Hannah turned 4 this weekend; I missed her birthday; my equally perfect niece, Kendall had her first dance recital this weekend; I missed that. I have missed way too much in both of their lives. I can't express how much that kills me inside. I just hope they know - just like I hope my entire family, my students, etc know - how much I love and care about them. I'm on a mission to better the lives of those around me and let them know what I'm all about and how much I care; I've truly been blessed.

I leave you with this: Have a passion. Put every bit of yourself into something you love. But also look and think about what you can do to bring joy, happiness, or just a better day to someone else. God will truly bless you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.