Tuesday, January 10, 2012

It Doesn't Always Take a Whoopin' Stick

As a kid, I raised cattle. Many times (whatever the circumstance) we would have to corral the cattle and get them up in a certain pen, different pasture, etc. In this transition, I (not just me, I was no all-star cowboy) would have to use a stick and smack or poke the cattle to prod them along. Constantly. Hey, you stupid cow, don't you understand that I won't hit you if you'd just walk?!

I would venture to say that it is frowned upon (at best) to use a "whoopin' stick" or "prodding stick" on a person to get them to work towards something, so what the heck are we supposed to do with those around us who balk and won't move without a push? How do we get them to work hard? The starting point is pretty doggone simple: care about them. If that doesn't apply; don't read on. You won't help anyone unless you genuinely care for them. Let me explain.

Care about them
I wish to become an educator is so that I can do everything in my power and use my God given talents to help students reach their full potential. All through school, sports, and life, one of the things that has frustrated me the most is people who don’t reach their potential because no one cared. It is my belief that as an educator you will fail unless you genuinely care that your students succeed. When I say succeed, I don’t necessarily mean get an "A" grade. Success is much more than a letter. Success is about working hard, thinking deeply, finding meaning in complex situations and places, improving one’s self, etc. Sometimes it takes putting your job, your relationship(s), and your reputation on the line all as an effort to help kids develop and move toward reaching their potential. When an individual sees you make it personal, they feel the support. Personally, when I know that someone believes in me I go out there and give it my all and prove that they're right. Give people that feeling. Believe in someone you know is struggling. Believe in your students. Believe in your friends. When you believe, you care. When you care, you will stay with it and push them because you truly want a great outcome. And you'd be absolutely shocked sometimes at what can happen.

If you believe in them, it gives them a reason to believe in themselves. And when that happens, possibilities are endless...


For those of you reading this, I don't know what you're going to do with your life. But I do know there are others in your life. And believe it or not at least one of them needs you. Right now. Tell them you care. Show them you care. Do what is necessary to help them. Trust me, they won't be the only benefactors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.