Recalculating...recalculating.
When you hear that word, all you want to do is scream, "Can't you just tell me where to go?" Trust me; it will usually get you there. You may have to give it a second; stay patient. But a GPS can't always tell you where you're going.
Sunday, January 22, 2012, started like any other Sunday. Sleep in. Go to church. Plan on watching some playoff football. I had just completed the second week of my last semester at college. Just two days prior, I had completed and submitted my first application for a math teaching opening in St. Joe. As I was putting my laundry away, that's all that was on my mind: getting that call, receiving a chance at an interview.
What can I bring to their school? What would I wear? How long will it take for me to hear from them? Do I have my homework done for tomorrow? Wha...
My phone rings. It's one of my two teachers I student taught under. With no expectations, I answered...
Hey, Tricia. How are ya?
---Well...not too good really...Are you sitting down?
Um..yeah. What's going on? What's the matter?
---Dale died of a heart attack this morning.
Silence. Shock. Dale was the other teacher I student taught with/under. We had become pretty close. The conversation continued with my disbelief, her explanation of the situation, tears shed by us both, consolation for one another, back and forth it went.
My thoughts were immediately to my last time seeing Dale, my concern for his family, for the school. Those were the only thoughts; then more information was brought to me.
They want you to fill in his position for the rest of the year.
I scrambled for words. Tried to sound strong, confident. They wanted me to think about it and let them know that night. I hung up the phone. That was the first time I broke down. I got on my knees and prayed. I prayed for Dale's family, for the school, and for God's direction for my life. I called and talked to my dad, my brothers. Called one of my professors at the college to see what I could do. Called the school to tell them I would do it. That school needed me. Those kids needed me.
So it began - the very next day. I was now a full-time teacher. A full-time college student. The manager of the local country club. Three weeks from my 22nd birthday.
Overwhelming? Absolutely, but in a way you wouldn't expect. Sure there have been days I've been absolutely exhausted. I've come home, went to my room and cried on a few occasions. Always followed by a prayer of thanks and for strength. But, the stress/scheduling of being a full-time teacher and full-time college student at the same time hasn't been the overwhelming part; it's been the support.
It starts at the top with my Lord and Savior. I'll finish up with that in a bit.
Next it goes to my parents - I honestly can't describe the love they've shown. Overwhelming.
My brothers and their wives. Unending support, advice, prayers, etc from them. Overwhelming.
The Maryville High School administration and faculty. Every day several of them stop and ask how I'm doing or what they can do to help. Overwhelming.
The Maryville community. People I don't even know. People whose kids aren't even students. Overwhelming.
My friends. I know most of them really don't understand it all and I know that many of them feel like I've shut them out or abandoned them. I promise that's not the case. They've been so supportive even though I'm hardly ever around any more. Overwhelming.
Northwest Missouri State University (especially Dr. Christine Benson). You want to know why to come to Northwest? They care about their students. In my biggest time of need and some real trials, they stepped up. They went to bat for me. They made a ton of special arrangements so that I can do this and still graduate in April. Overwhelming.
Dale's family. At the visitation they stood there grieving and kept expressing their support for me. Be strong. Be strong. That was their message. Overwhelming.
Lastly, my students. They bounce back better than anyone. They are resilient. They are battlers. I know there are days when I'm not great, but I would give it all for those kids. They are able to get past my "new teacher struggles" and help me get through. On my second day, one of my classes gave me a card signed by the entire class. It included notes such as: "We wouldn't want anyone else," "Thank you so much," "We are so glad you're here." Overwhelming.
I led off speaking of my God. The road He has paved for me is one that no GPS will ever be able to give directions to. I have been blessed beyond words. Just last week, it was made official that I will be teaching math as well as coaching baseball and basketball at Maryville High next year. The story just keeps building. I'm so undeserving; I'm a sinner. But God has blessed me with a lot of talents and has now started me down this road. He's called on me to be here. Nowhere else except for here. It's a dream come true. I've wanted to be here since late in my freshman year of college. Here I am. Closing no doors. Asking God daily for directions. He's better than any GPS; trust me. Overwhelming.
Again, thanks for all the support. I leave you with this. Colossians 3:23-24: And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
I work for the Lord. I pray that He continues to use me in a way that brings Him the glory. I pray the same for each of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.